Full-Time Visitor Services Representative
For more information, or to apply for this job, click here.
Job Summary The Central Park Conservancy Visitor Centers rely on motivated individuals who enjoy interacting with people and providing excellent customer service to visitors from around the world. Visitor Services staff inform, equip and engage Park patrons by providing general information, directions, and history about Central Park and the Conservancy, and by encouraging visitors to take advantage of public programming and membership/donor opportunities. Visitor Center staff enhance each visitor’s Central Park Experience and serve as the “front-line” in educating patrons about the features and landscapes of Central Park and the Conservancy’s role in maintaining it.
Reports to: Visitor Center Manager
Department: Visitor Services
Status: Full-time, Non-exempt
Schedule: Determined based on facility/programming needs and may change. Regular weekend work and some holiday work is required.
About the Park
Built between the years 1858 and 1873, Central Park is almost entirely man-made and considered to be a single work of art. Composed of natural elements – turf, woodlands, and water bodies, along with architectural elements, this 843-acre National Historic Landmark receives 42 million visits from over 9 million unique visitors each year. Founded in 1980, the mission of the Central Park Conservancy is to restore, manage and enhance Central Park in partnership with the public.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- Proactively greet, assist, and engage Park visitors, in a professional and inviting manner
- Enhance every person's visit to Central Park by providing detailed and accurate information and directions, and by interpreting the Park’s history, landscapes, design, features and programming
- Help to maintain a safe, clean and welcoming center includes properly securing the Center each evening, reporting all safety issues to the appropriate personnel, monitoring proper use of Center throughout your shift, and participating in regular light cleaning
- Engage visitors in conversation about the Conservancy and our role in maintaining Central Park
- Promote Central Park Conservancy membership and various other ways people can support our mission
- Handle retail sales includes maintaining inventory, conducting monetary and credit card transactions, and generating sales reports as needed
- Help to facilitate a variety of programs in and around the Visitor Centers including planning, staffing, registration and evaluation as needed
- Work with Programs staff and volunteers to manage tours that run out of the Visitor Centers: includes handling tickets sales, when applicable, and distributing audio equipment
- Participate in on-going professional development opportunities
- Actively manage Visitor Center calendars and program schedules to assure readiness for events, programs and general visitation
- Respond to visitor inquiries via the phone, in person, and e-mail as needed
- Perform general administration duties: answering phones, filing, faxing, statistics tracking, etc.
- Keep visitor statistics and report these figures as needed
- Actively communicate with Park visitors, colleagues, volunteers, Operations staff and other Park personnel as needed
- Secure cash donations at end of the night
- Experience and/or interest in customer service/retail, parks, landscape design, and /or tourism
- A strong desire to work with the public
- A strong desire to learn about the Park and the Central Park Conservancy
- Ability to work productively as part of a diverse team of staff, volunteers and interns
- Enthusiasm for working in different locations throughout the Park based on staffing/coverage needs of the department
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; personable; and energetic
- Computer proficiency (Word, Excel, use of an e-mail system, etc.)
- Responsible and reliable; ability to be at work regularly and on-time
- Must be at least 18 years old; candidate should have a minimum of a high school diploma
- Strong English communication skill a must; ability to speak additional languages a plus
Additional Requirements for Assignment to Visitor Services Representative II
- A satisfactory combination of education and/or experience as described above that is equivalent to 5 years’ experience;
- Demonstrated competency of essential job functions
- CPC Internal Candidates – A satisfactory performance evaluation during each year of employment.
This position occasionally requires lifting of moderately heavy items (up to 30 pounds) and long periods of standing as well as walking to various locations throughout the Park as needed. Must comply with the policies of the Conservancy, including wearing a Central Park Conservancy-branded uniform, which will be issued upon hire, in a presentable and professional fashion.
Schedules are determined based on facility/programming needs and may change. Regular weekend work and some holiday work is required.
For more information, or to apply for this job, click here.
CPC is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in its work and on its staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, orientations and communities to apply.
Establishment and maintenance of a safe work environment is the shared responsibility of this organization and employees at every level. The Conservancy will make every effort to assure a safe environment and be in compliance with federal, state, and local safety regulations. Employees are expected to obey safety rules and to exercise caution in all their work activities. Accordingly, employees should be aware of any hazards, which could cause an injury or accident (e.g., spills, obstacles in walkways). If an employee discovers a potential dangerous condition, he/she should alert other employees and notify his/her supervisor immediately.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed