For more information, or to apply for this job, click here.
Reports to: Manager – Parkwide Services
Department: Landscape Management
Position #: 6022
About the Park and The Central Park Conservancy
Built between the years 1858 and 1873, Central Park is almost entirely man-made and considered to be a single work of art. Composed of natural elements – turf, natural areas, and water bodies, along with architectural elements, this 843 acre National Historic Landmark requires a unique set of skills to maintain these features to the highest standards. Founded in 1980, the mission of the Central Park Conservancy is to restore, manage and enhance Central Park in partnership with the City of New York and the public.
The Mechanic is responsible for a fleet of vehicles and equipment, owned by the City of New York, for use in the maintenance of Central Park. The Mechanic will work as part of a team that manages Park Operations as a whole.
Working under the general supervision of the Manager of Parkwide Support, the Mechanic is primarily responsible for the repairs and preventive maintenance of approximately 50 vehicles, 100 utility vehicles, and a fleet of small power equipment. It is expected that the Mechanic will work in support of all departments and with other staff in Park Operations to ensure equipment is in proper working order to perform their primary tasks.
· Troubleshoot, diagnose, perform and schedule preventative maintenance and repairs to engines and component assemblies used in automotive and equipment powered by internal combustion engines, motors and small power equipment
· Fleet of equipment includes automobiles, trucks (both light and heavy duty) gasoline and diesel engines, backhoe, tractor loader, street sweeper, wide area mowers, small power equipment (string trimmers, rotary mowers, blowers, etc), and electric powered utility vehicles
· Make repair cost estimates and advise when repairs need to be performed by outside vendor
· Maintain a variety of records, including vehicle information, maintenance, repair records and inventories of parts, components, supplies and materials
· Maintains up-to-date working knowledge of maintenance equipment and diagnostic apparatus
· Skilled in the use of a wide variety of equipment repair tools and in the making of various types of mechanical repairs
· Guides and gives technical assistance to field staff in the maintenance of equipment. Makes recommendations for improvements in maintenance and repair procedures
· Monitors and ensures employee engagement, productivity, compliance and status of work assignments
· Participates in safety and work training program for employees and tracks individual progress and ensure requirements are met at regular intervals
· Inspect and monitor all work to ensure compliance of organizational standards of methods and practices, safety and other established requirements
· Coordinates with other departments within CPC on the timely diagnosis and repair of fleet of equipment and preventative maintenance schedules
· Interact with Park patrons in a professional manner
· Assists in the development of a preventative maintenance program on all equipment and make recommendations for the purchase of vehicles and equipment
· Works with Manager to develop measurements against and will participate in reporting on annual preventative maintenance work plan
· Assist Manager in the development of an annual budget and collaborate to monitor expenses throughout the year
· Maintains the inventory and proper care of all tools, equipment, materials, supplies and staff uniforms
· Use computer based management systems for budget control, scheduling, timekeeping and record keeping
· Maintain work area and tools in a clean and neat manner
· Initiates the purchase of supplies, tools and other related equipment
· Respond to emergency situations including, but not limited to, storms and snow events
· Perform related work as assigned
1. High school diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent. 6 years of increasingly responsible experience in the field of automobile, grounds management and/or small power equipment repair and maintenance
2. Vocational or technical school completion a plus.
3. All candidates must have demonstrated the ability to work well with others
4. Valid Driver License that must be maintained for duration of employment
5. Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certification preferred
1. Ability to provide both oral and written communication that is easily understood and direct in its content
2. Ability to engage in critical thinking skills that allow for prioritizing issues, coordinating multiple projects and problem solve
3. Knowledge of computer equipment and Microsoft Office applications
4. Ability to work overtime, weekends and holidays as needed
5. Ability to lift 50 lbs. and perform heavy physical labor on a daily basis in all weather conditions
For more information, or to apply for this job, click here.
CPC is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in its work and on its staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, orientations and communities to apply.
Establishment and maintenance of a safe work environment is the shared responsibility of this organization and employees at every level. The Conservancy will make every effort to assure a safe environment and be in compliance with federal, state, and local safety regulations. Employees are expected to obey safety rules and to exercise caution in all their work activities. Accordingly, employees should be aware of any hazards, which could cause an injury or accident (e.g., spills, obstacles in walkways). If an employee discovers a potential dangerous condition, he/she should alert other employees and notify his/her supervisor immediately.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed