Thousands of dogs and their owners visit Central Park every week and are part of the vibrant community that makes Central Park a special place. You can help us to keep the Park clean and safe by respecting these rules:
• Dogs must be under the control of their owner at all times.
• Dogs must have a NYC license tag and valid rabies tag.
• Dogs must not dig, chase or harm wildlife, damage Park property, or interfere with other Park users.
• Always clean up after your dog, including dog hair that you brush off in the Park.
• Please respect signs, fences, and red flags that may indicate temporary closures due to restoration, maintenance, or weather conditions.
Dogs are allowed off-leash when the Park is open from 6:00 am to 9:00 am and from 9:00 pm to 1:00 am when the Park closes. Dogs must be on-leash at all times from 9:00 am until 9:00 pm.
Even during off-leash hours, dogs must always be on-leash in the following areas:
• All Lawns posted as 9:00 am areas
• Arthur Ross Pinetum
• The Bridle Path
• Cedar Hill
• Children's Glade (Great Hill area)
• Conservatory Garden
• East Green
• East Meadow Oval
• Kerbs Boathouse Plaza
• The North Woods and The Ravine
• The Ramble
• Shakespeare Garden
• Strawberry Fields
• Turtle Pond Lawn
Dogs are never allowed in the following areas:
• All Ballfields and Recreational Courts
• All Playgrounds
• All Sand Volleyball Courts
• All Water Bodies, Streams, and Ornamental Fountains
• Elm islands at the Mall
• Great Lawn Oval
• Lilac Walk
• Reservoir running track
• Sheep Meadow
The rules above are part of NYC legal code; dog owners may be fined for any violation of these laws.