Andrew Haswell Green Bench
Dedicated to the “Father of New York City” in 1929, this stone bench offers a tranquil spot for reflection in the open greenery of Fort Fish. Perhaps an unfamiliar name to many who pass this spot, Green actually played a pivotal role in both the creation of Central Park and the history of New York City.
While Green famously conflicted on many counts with Park designers Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvet Vaux, his staunch support of the Greensward Plan ultimately helped create the Central Park New Yorkers treasure today. The bench originally stood on the site of the Mount, and was moved in the 1980s to make room for the Conservancy’s compost operation. Today, five Maple trees representing the City’s five boroughs surround the bench, in memory of the man responsible for unifying them to create Greater New York.