Chess & Checkers House
The Chess & Checkers House is one of five Park visitor centers run by the Central Park Conservancy. Chess and Checkers players are welcome to borrow pieces from the Conservancy staff, or bring their own. Dominos and backgammon are also available. Soon after the Park was opened in the 1860s, it was criticized by local newspapers for its lack of facilities for children and their caregivers. The commissioners responded by creating a Children's District in the southern part of the park. The features included the Dairy, the playground (now Heckscher Playground and Ballfield), a children's cottage (demolished), and the Kinderberg, or "children's mountain," where the Park's largest rustic shelter once stood. In 1952, private funds built the Chess & Checkers House to replace the Kinderberg. In 1986, the Conservancy restored the building and built the rustic pergola surrounding the house to provide shade for players.
Mid-Park at 64th Street