Doris C. Freedman Plaza
The Doris C. Freedman Plaza is located at the southeast corner of Central Park and is home to rotating sculptural art installations, courtesy of the City's Public Art Fund. It is named for the founder of the Public Art Fund and has been the site of more than 75 projects since 1977.
Currently on Display
Isa Genzken’s Two Orchids will be on view March 1 – August 21, 2016.
Originally presented at the 56th Venice Biennale’s All the World’s Futures exhibition in the spring of 2015, this is only the second time the work has been shown publicly. In New York City, the two flowers will rise 34 and 28 feet in height above visitors entering Central Park from its southeast corner. Appearing delicate and willowy, despite their stainless steel construction, the impossibly thin stems are “tied” to straight metal shafts that support their beautiful white blooms.
For more information, please visit the Public Art Fund.
Two Orchids, 2015
Cast aluminum and stainless steel, lacquer
Height appr. 1000 cm
Credit line: Courtesy Galerie Buchholz, Cologne/Berlin/New York and David Zwirner, New York/London
Photo: Walla Walla Foundry, Courtesy Public Art Fund, NY
© 2015 Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York / VG Bild-Kunst, Bonn
East Side Perimeter Wall at Fifth Avenue and 60th Street