Dr. J. Marion Sims
Dedicated in 1894, this bronze and granite monument stands on the Park perimeter in honor of Dr. James Marion Sims, a surgeon regarded as the father of modern gynecology. Sims' work is often credited for giving the field status as a separate medical specialty. He founded the first hospital for women in America in New York City in 1855. In recent years he has become a controversial figure for his use of slaves as experimental subjects. The statue was originally dedicated in Bryant Park and brought to this present site in 1934 across from the Academy of Medicine, of which Dr. Sims was a member.
Perimeter Wall at Fifth Avenue and 103rd Street.