Designed by Paul Manship, the renowned sculptor of Prometheus at Rockefeller Center's skating rink, the Group of Bears at the Pat Hoffman Freedman Playground, and the Osborn Gates at the Ancient Playground, it depicts animals, birds, and boys playing panpipes in a fanciful art Deco scrolling lintel. The whole composition is a lovely commentary on the interaction between children and animals, fitting for the zoo entrance. The Lehman Gates were donated by Governor and Mrs. Herbert H. Lehman in honor of their 50th wedding anniversary upon the opening of the Children's Zoo in 1961.
They were restored by the Conservancy in the 1980s.
At the entrance to the Tisch Children's Zoo, inside the Park at Fifth Avenue at 66th Street.
Sculptor: Paul Manship (1885-1966)
Placed in Park: 1961
Material: Bronze on a granite pedestal
Donor: Governor and Mrs. Herbert H. Lehman