Named for philanthropists Irving and Estelle Levy, this two-leaved bronze gate is ornamented with monkeys, owls, and a squirrel. Dedicated in 1958, the gate originally stood at a playground at 80th Street and Fifth Avenue, also named for the Levys. Conserved in 1989, it was move to its present location at the nearby Pat Hoffman Friedman Playground.
The gate was designed by A. Walter Beretta, the Department of Parks & Recreation’s monuments artisan from 1934 to 1966.
79th Street and Fifth Avenue