Pulitzer Fountain


 

When newspaper publisher Joseph Pulitzer died in 1911, he bequeathed $50,000 "for the erection of a fountain like those in the Place de la Concorde, Paris, France." Pulitzer got the idea to locate the fountain in Grand Army Plaza from Karl Bitter, the Austrian sculptor, who proposed a symmetrical plaza for this area. After a closed design competition it was not surprising that Bitter and the architect Thomas Hastings were commissioned to create the fountain. To make the plaza symmetrical, the Sherman monument was moved 16 feet west to its present location. Bitter's bronze sculpture represents Pomona, the Roman goddess of abundance. Rams' heads with horns of plenty flank the fountain, again emphasizing the theme of wealth and material comfort. During the winter holiday season, lighted trees decorate the basin of the fountain, adding a festive touch to the Park's entrance.

Location

Grand Army Plaza at 59th Street and Fifth Avenue.

» Map It

Details

Sculptor: Karl Bitter (1867-1915)
Date: 1916
Material: Bronze statue, granite fountain
Donor: Joseph Pulitzer