• Central Park Conservancy Logo
  • Official Caretakers of Central Park


Here are answers to frequently asked questions about Central Park. If the information you need isn’t listed here, please search our website using the search bar above. If you can't find what you need, please contact Central Park Conservancy.

Alcohol is prohibited in Central Park, and in all New York City parks, according to the rules and regulations of the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation.

Bicycle Rental
Bicycles for riding in Central Park are available for rent at two locations on a seasonal basis. Rentals are on a first-come, first-served basis. For more information, please call the numbers below.

  • Southeast Corner: East Side Perimeter Wall at the Grand Army Plaza entrance to The Pond at Fifth Avenue and 60th Street: 917.283.2453
  • Southwest Corner: Merchants' Gate Plaza (next to Columbus Circle at Central Park South and Central Park West): 917.283.2453

Dogs are allowed in most sections of Central Park whenever it is open to the public. They are allowed off-leash when the Park is open from 6:00 am to 9:00 am and from 9:00 pm to 1:00 am when the Park closes. Dogs must be on-leash at all times from 9:00 am until 9:00 pm. For detailed information, please read the rules for dogs. Learn more about Central Park's vibrant dog community and Central Park Paws.

You can help us keep Central Park green and beautiful! Make a one-time donation, arrange a monthly donation, join the Conservancy, or renew your membership. Or, choose to honor someone special with flowers, a tree, a bench, or a paving stone. View these and more options to support Central Park Conservancy’s work.  We rely on private donations to restore, maintain, and enhance the Park; in fact, 75% of the budget needed to keep the Park beautiful and vibrant comes from individual donors.

Drones are not permitted in Central Park, according to the rules of the NYC Department of Parks and Recreation.

To report a problem or ask about enforcement, please contact the appropriate agency below.

If you want to have any activity in Central Park with more than 20 people, OR if you would like to reserve a specific area in the Park, you must apply for a special event permit with the City of New York Parks & Recreation Department. You can learn more at the Parks & Recreation Department website. For restaurant venues in Central Park, please contact Tavern on the Green, 212.877.8684, or the Loeb Boathouse, 212.517.2233.

Grilling or Barbecuing
Barbecuing is allowed only on the following three days:

  • Memorial Day (last Monday in May)
  • Labor Day (first Monday in September)
  • 4th of July (whatever day of the week it falls on)

On those three days, we encourage you to select a location above 96th Street, such as the lawn at the Harlem Meer or the Great Hill, because they’re less crowded than the southern part of the Park. 

Please note the following rules:

  • Barbecuing is allowed only on the three days specified above, not the entire holiday weekend.
  • Barbecuing is prohibited in the following areas: athletic fields, playgrounds, woodlands (North Woods, Ramble), landscapes that are fenced off, and Conservatory Garden.
  • Use of propane is not allowed.

Groups, Activities, and Performances
If you want to have any activity or performance in Central Park with more than 20 people, OR if you would like to reserve a specific area in the Park, you must apply for a special event permit with the City of New York Department of Parks & Recreation. For more information, please visit their website. Also, please be aware that the following locations are designated quiet zones and should be avoided if you are doing a performance.

Central Park is free and open to visitors 365 days a year. The Park opens at 6:00 am and closes at 1:00 am.

Ice Skating
For information about ice skating in Central Park, please contact Wollman Rink, 212.439.6900, or Lasker Rink, 212.534.7639. The Conservancy does not manage the ice rinks. Skating usually starts in mid-November, and we will provide more specific information on our website when we have it. 

In addition, when conditions allow, Conservatory Water (also known as the model boat pond) is open for free skating from dawn till dusk. Signs are posted. You must bring your own skates. Skating is not permitted on any other water bodies in the Park.

For information about employment with Central Park Conservancy, please see our current job opportunities on our website.

Lost and Found
The Conservancy does not keep a Lost and Found; all items of value are turned into the Central Park Police Precinct, located mid-Park at the 86th Street Transverse Road. You can contact them at 212.570.4820.

Maps of Central Park
Need a map of Central Park? View our maps and download a printable version. You can also get a free Central Park map at any of our Visitor Centers:

To purchase a copy of the Official Map and Guide to Central Park, please visit our Online Shop.

Discounts – Your member discount code is on your Central Park Conservancy membership card (a word and a number). If you don't have your membership card, please contact our membership department at 212.310.6672 or email membership@centralparknyc.org.

Mailing list preferences and questions – contact membership@centralparknyc.org

Model Boats
For information about model boats and Conservatory Water, please contact the Kerbs Boathouse at 917.522.0054.

Parks and Nonprofits
If you represent a park maintenance group or other nonprofit and are looking for information about Central Park Conservancy’s practices, please email our Institute for Urban Parks at institute@centralparknyc.org.

Photography and Filming

  • Event photography: For photography for weddings, student projects, etc., please contact our Film and Special Events staff at film@centralparknyc.org. Read more about Film and Photo Shoots in Central Park
  • Personal photography: You don’t need a permit to photograph in Central Park if you are using handheld equipment or a tripod. If you are bringing other equipment, please email film@centralparknyc.org to find out if you need a permit

Press Inquiries
If you are a member of the press, please contact us at press@centralparknyc.org. For film and photo requests, please visit our Film & Photo Shoots page.

Researching Central Park
Many of the materials pertinent to researching Central Park are readily available in municipal institutions like The New York Public Library. The resources noted on our Research Policies page provide visitors, students, teachers, scholars, and professionals guidance on researching Central Park and Central Park Conservancy.

Row Boats
Row boating on the Lake is available April through October, weather permitting. Row boats and gondolas can be rented at the Loeb Boathouse daily, 10:00 am until dusk. For price details and additional information, please contact the Loeb Boathouse at 212.517.2233 or visit www.thecentralparkboathouse.com

The Conservancy manages and restores the landscapes and infrastructure within Central Park; we are not a government or enforcement agency. Rules for Central Park (and all NYC Parks) are made and enforced by the NYC Department of Parks and Recreation. A summary of key rules can be found here.

Smoking is prohibited in Central Park and all NYC parks. This includes the use of electronic cigarettes. Visit NYC Department of Parks and Recreation for more information.

Central Park Conservancy offers a wide variety of guided tours to suit different interests. You can find information for all of our tours at our Guided Tours page on our website. You can also take a look at our Calendar of Events.

Visiting Central Park 

Visitor Centers
Start your visit to Central Park at one of our Visitor Centers:

Volunteering is a great way to support Central Park Conservancy! For information on volunteering, please visit our Volunteer page.

If you want to conduct a wedding in Central Park's Conservatory Garden, please visit our Weddings page.

Respect the wildlife in Central Park. Never feed or approach a wild, stray, or injured animal. For matters relating to wildlife in the Park, please contact the Urban Park Rangers, 212.360.2774.

In an urgent situation, you may also contact the Park Enforcement Patrol (PEP), 212.427.8700, call the City of New York (dial 311), or notify a Central Park Conservancy staff member.

Central Park Conservancy is not affiliated with the Central Park Zoo. For information about the Zoo, please visit their website.