Students explore topics relevant to their current work, gain a deeper understanding of the latest developments and challenges in the field of urban park management, and engage with a network of urban park managers in an interactive online environment. The Certificate covers the following topics:
- Introducing the Field of Urban Park Management
- Valuing Partnerships
- Engaging Communities
- Coordinating Volunteers
- Hosting Programs
- Managing Special Events
- Assessing Environmental Sustainability
- Working with Tools and Technology
- Managing During Capital Improvements
- Measuring Performance in Urban Park Management
- Making Checklists for Tasks in Urban Parks
- Affirming our Commitments
Students who complete the program receive a certificate jointly from the Central Park Conservancy and the CUNY School of Professional Studies. There are 12 units within the certificate program; all must be successfully completed in order to earn the certificate.
Schedule and Program Details
Students participate in fully online course work for 12 weeks. The self-paced program requires students to commit to 3 hours of work per week, including the completion of weekly assignments.
The fee for future sessions will be announced with the next application deadline.
We encourage applicants with entry- to mid-level positions in public agencies (i.e. parks departments) and nonprofit urban parks groups (i.e. conservancies, friends groups, or other park organizations directly providing support to an urban park) to apply.
We seek applicants who:
- Have 3-5 years of experience in urban parks
- Have fewer than 10 total direct and/or indirect reports
- Are working “in the field” (e.g., horticulture, operations, maintenance, events, public, recreation, etc.)
- Are interested in developing their current role
Learn more about the Certificate.
The Urban Park Management Certificate is a partnership between the Central Park Conservancy and the Office of Professional Education and Workplace Learning at the CUNY School of Professional Studies (CUNY SPS). Home to the first fully online degree programs at the City University of New York, the CUNY SPS provides online and on-campus programs that meet the needs of adults who are looking to finish a bachelor’s degree, earn a master’s degree or certificate in a specialized field, advance in the workplace, or change careers.