The Mount

The Mount

Once the site of a convent and school, the Mount has been transformed into the modern-day center of Central Park’s composting operation. In autumn, fallen leaves are brought here and turned into nutrient-rich compost, which is used year-round in plantings and horticultural projects throughout the Park.

In 1848, this area housed a convent and school run by the Sisters of Charity of Mount St. Vincent. When the property was acquired in 1858 to build Central Park, the Sisters moved to the Bronx, where the college still thrives today.

Location

East Side at 104th Street

Loading map...

Get Directions

Restrooms

No