Andrew Haswell Green Bench

Andrew Haswell Green Bench

The Andrew Haswell Green Bench is a quiet place to admire the surrounding greenery of Fort Fish. The bench was dedicated in 1929 to the “Father of Greater New York,” Andrew Haswell Green, who was pivotal in the creation of Central Park and numerous other New York City cultural institutions.

Green frequently clashed with Central Park designers Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux, but his staunch support of their Greensward Plan was crucial in helping to create the Central Park we know today. Five maple trees representing the City’s five boroughs surround the bench, in memory of the man responsible for unifying them to create Greater New York.

Nearby

Location

Mid-Park at 104th Street

Loading map...

Get Directions

Restrooms

No