The Mount

Once the site of a convent and school, the Mount has been transformed into the modern-day center of Central Park's composting operation.

In autumn, Conservancy staff bring fallen leaves here to be turned into nutrient-rich compost, which they use year-round in plantings and horticultural projects throughout the Park.

In 1848, the Sisters of Charity of Mount St. Vincent ran a convent and school on this spot. When the property was acquired in 1858 to build Central Park, the Sisters moved to the Bronx, where the college still thrives today.