Johann C.F. von Schiller

Johann C.F. Von Schiller

The German-American community donated this pensive bust of Johann Christoph Friedrich Schiller, the first of Central Park’s permanent monuments. Schiller was a German dramatist, historian, poet, and philosopher.

While the monument was originally placed in the Ramble as a nod to the deep love of nature found in Schiller’s poetry, it was later moved to its present location at the Mall, across from the Bandshell. A bench marks the sculpture’s previous location.

The bust was sculpted by C.L. Richter, and was dedicated in November 1859 during a three-day festival commemorating the centennial of Schiller’s birth.

Location

Mid-Park at 72nd Street

Loading map...

Get Directions

Restrooms

No