It was named in honor of Iphigene Ochs Sulzberger, a lifelong Central Park advocate and philanthropist who loved this area of the Park. Sulzberger developed a passion for Central Park during her childhood, when she would take long Sunday walks with her father, New York Times publisher Adolph S. Ochs. As an adult, she became a staunch defender of Central Park and used her influence to protect the Park as a public area of grand landscapes and diverse wildlife, work the Conservancy continues to this day. She helped initiate efforts to restore damaged areas, including the Ramble.
Sulzberger served as President of the Central Park Association from 1934 to 1950 and was named honorary chairwoman of the Conservancy upon its formation in 1980. In 2004, the Conservancy restored Iphigene's Walk, part of its larger effort to enhance the Ramble.