Tavern on the Green
Tavern on the Green, the restaurant located in the historic building once known as the Sheepfold, has been a destination for fine dining in Central Park since the 1930s.
The Sheepfold was constructed in 1870 to house the flock of sheep that grazed the Sheep Meadow, along with its shepherd. The building was designed by architect Jacob Wrey Mould, who also had a hand in designing Belvedere Castle, Bethesda Terrace, and the Ladies Pavilion.
When the sheep were relocated in 1934, the Parks Department converted the building into a restaurant, which became immediately popular. After a series of renovations, expansions, and changes in management, it became a glamourous destination for upscale dining and events in the 1970s.
The restaurant recently underwent a years-long renovation during which some of its many additions were removed to expose more of the original structure and provide more variety of dining options. Tavern on the Green reopened in 2014.