Tennis Courts

Tennis has a long history in Central Park and has been played in this location since the 1880s, when the sport was beginning to grow in popularity in the United States.

Early “courts” involved the simple installation of temporary nets in various lawns throughout the Park, with markings in chalk to demarcate the play area, so that the lawn could be used for other purposes. In 1910, permanent courts were created in a meadow just north of the Reservoir. This regular presence led to the creation of a fieldhouse with facilities for tennis players, which was built in 1930.

The Tennis House, which contains the Park’s tennis courts, was the first completely new building to be added to the Park in the 20th century. This site now hosts the City’s largest set of public tennis courts, with 26 clay courts and four hard courts, available for play with a permit from NYC Parks.