The Tempest by American sculptor Milton Hebald depicts the figures of Prospero and his daughter, Miranda, from the eponymous play. It stands in front of the Delacorte Theater, home to the annual summer festival, Shakespeare in the Park.
In the 1970s, publisher and philanthropist George Delacorte donated The Tempest as well as Romeo and Juliet, also by Hebald, to the Park. They were both installed in 1977 in front of the Delacorte Theater, which he also funded. Before the theater was built in 1962, the Shakespeare Festival presented free summer plays on a portable stage in the vicinity.
In addition to the Delacorte Theater, George Delacorte is responsible for funding some of the Park’s best-known sculptural features including the popular sculpture Alice in Wonderland in 1959 and the Delacorte Clock in 1965.