Untermyer Fountain

The Untermyer Fountain, featuring a bronze cast of Walter Schott’s Three Dancing Maidens, is a memorial to the lawyer and civic leader Samuel Untermyer (1858–1940) and his wife, cultural patroness and suffragist Minnie Untermyer (1859–1924). It is located in the northern section of the Conservatory Garden.

In the early 1900s, the Untermyers purchased Three Dancing Maidens from the workshop of German artist Walter Schott and displayed it in the garden of their Yonkers estate. When they died, their children donated the fountain to the Park in their memory. Inspired by French garden design, the fountain was placed in the center of the northern section of the Conservatory Garden and dedicated in 1947. Standing in an oval pool and surrounded by elliptical flower beds, Three Dancing Maidens joyfully animate the garden, stretching their arms to form a circle.