Completed by 1862, this granite and sandstone arch was a key feature of the conifer-lined West Drive from 72nd Street to 102nd Street.
Winterdale Arch was originally surrounded by evergreens, as it was intended to be part of a “Winter Drive” included in Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux’s design of the Park. The intention was to line the West Drive with conifers for visitors to admire from the comfort of horse-drawn sleighs. By the late 1800s, these trees needed replacement, and deciduous ones were planted in their place. Only recently have new evergreen plantings by the Conservancy brought back the feeling of the Winter Drive to this area of the Park.