Our conservation work on the bronze King Jagiello monument, located just east of Turtle Pond, focused on making necessary repairs to the statue’s internal mounting system and restoring the statue’s protective coating.
The bronze King Jagiello statue portrays Wladyslaw II Jagiello, the King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania, who united Lithuania and Poland and became king after marrying the Queen of Poland in 1386. The statue was originally installed at the entrance to the Polish pavilion at the 1939 World’s Fair in Queens. Later that year, the Nazis invaded Poland, preventing the sculpture's return to its homeland. The exiled Polish government donated the monument to the City of New York, who placed it in Central Park in 1945. Its massive granite base was designed by Parks Department architect Aymar Embury II.
The conservation of King Jagiello focused on its support structure, which attaches the monument to the granite base. As part of the project, we designed and installed a new stainless steel mounting system and restored of the statue’s patina and protective coating.
ProjectOur restoration of the Belvedere addressed the overall condition of its structures and terraces, modernized systems that support its preservation and use, and restored lost aspects of the historic design. A future phase of this project will include providing an accessible route to the Belvedere, one of the most heavily visited destinations in the Park.
ProjectThe Conservancy completed the most comprehensive conservation of the Egyptian Obelisk in its 3,500-year history, including cleaning its 2,112-square-foot surface with lasers and stabilizing it with adhesive products. The work was a collaborative effort with the Metropolitan Museum of Art and NYC Parks.
ProjectOur restoration of the Ramble was designed to renew the scenic character, enhance the habitat value, and improve the visitor experience of the urban woodland landscape at the heart of the Park’s historic design.
ProjectOur reconstruction of the Ruth and Arthur Smadbeck-Heckscher East Playground created an entirely new play environment geared to pre-schoolers. It also included reconstruction of the plaza in front of the playground that features the popular Group of Bears sculpture.