View from the Park

5 Historic Women Memorialized in Central Park

This is a milestone year for Central Park with the addition of a permanent figurative monument to honor historic women. The Women’s Rights Pioneers Monument is slated to be unveiled on the Mall’s Literary Walk this summer—planned for the centennial anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment, which guaranteed women the constitutional right to vote.

Although there are currently no monuments representing historic women, numerous important women have been instrumental in shaping Central Park. In honor of Women’s History Month, we’re highlighting a few trailblazing, but little known, women who inspired or funded a variety of features in Central Park—whether they be playgrounds, landscapes, or recreational facilities.

Sophie Loeb Central Park

Sophie Loeb began her career as a schoolteacher and journalist, and her work inspired many social reforms. Sophie Loeb Fountain in the James Michael Levin Playground honors her legacy. Photo by Bains News Service, collection of the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division

Sophie Loeb Fountain

Sophie Loeb, known as “America’s greatest mother,” campaigned tirelessly in the 1920s for legislation and services to improve the lives of New York City mothers and children—including the addition of playgrounds in Central Park. Sophie Loeb Fountain is a memorial that honors Loeb’s activism by providing joy and refreshment to local families.

Sophie Loeb Fountain Central Park

Unveiling of the Sophie Loeb Fountain near Heckscher Playground, 1936. Courtesy of the NYC Parks Photo Archive

Originally, the fountain was installed outside of Heckscher Playground, a fitting site as Central Park’s first playground, and functioned as a drinking fountain. It was relocated to the James Michael Levin Playground and converted to a water play feature in the 1980s. The whimsically decorated fountain features characters from the beloved children’s book Alice in Wonderland, along with inscriptions such as “In the depths of despair may I never lose hope” and “Her greatest wealth was her heart of gold,” which serve as permanent reminders of Loeb’s unwavering dedication to social justice.

Rumsey Roosevelt Greenway

Mary Harriman Rumsey, left, with Eleanor Roosevelt and Rep. Isabella Greenway of Arizona at a 1934 Junior League gala. Rumsey Playfield is named for Rumsey, who helped President Franklin D. Roosevelt author the Social Security Act. Photo by Harris & Ewing, Collection of the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division

Rumsey Playfield

Just off the eastern edge of the Mall, Rumsey Playfield is an open playfield that is best known as the venue for the SummerStage concert series. This spot was originally the location of a restaurant that in the early 20th century was known as The Casino. In 1937 it was converted into a spacious, two-acre playground—one of many built during the 1930s—containing equipment and open space for games. It was distinctive at the time because it was named to honor Mary Harriman Rumsey, a social reformer and playground advocate.

Blog 1x Memorializing Women Rumsey Playground

Children playing in Rumsey Playground, 1939. Courtesy of the NYC Parks Photo Archive

While studying at Barnard College, Rumsey volunteered at settlement houses, helping immigrants and low-income families. Influenced by this work, she later dedicated her life to social reform. She founded the first Junior League, one of the oldest and largest women’s nonprofit volunteer organizations, and the Community Councils of the City of New York. Rumsey’s work with the Councils included the opening of approximately 500 playgrounds throughout the City.

After decades of use, Rumsey Playground became rundown. In 1985, the Conservancy remade it as a place to play sports; soon after, it became used as a venue for performances. A plaque remaining at the entrance reminds of us of Mary Harriman Rumsey’s involvement in its creation as well as her lifelong philanthropy and dedication to her community.

Wollman Memorial Rink historic

The Wollman Memorial Recreation Center, commonly referred to as Wollman Rink, opened to the public for ice skating in December 1950. It’s named for Betty Wollman, a Kansas pioneer. Courtesy of the NYC Parks Photo Archive

Wollman Rink

The Wollman Memorial Recreation Center, commonly referred to as Wollman Rink, was named in honor of philanthropist Kate Wollman’s parents, Betty and Jonas, and Kate’s three brothers, William, Benjamin, and Henry. In 1928, William proposed a memorial gift to the Park that honored the spirit of his mother, who was a Kansas-based abolitionist. His idea was to create a Mother’s Rest House, staffed by a professional nurse and fitted with milk-heating facilities. The Rest House was never built—however, Kate’s later gift for the Memorial Recreation Center has the similar purpose of providing families a place for healthy and active recreation.

Alice in Wonderland unveiling

Unveiling of Alice in Wonderland, 1956. Courtesy of the NYC Parks Photo Archive

Alice in Wonderland

While Alice in Wonderland is one of the most popular works of art in Central Park—well-known as a sculpture that children and adults alike are drawn to climb and explore—it's also a memorial.

In 1956, George Delacorte, a well-known publisher, spoke with Parks Commissioner Robert Moses about his interest in memorializing his recently deceased wife, Margarita, with a monument in Central Park. She had been instrumental in establishing his publishing empire and was an enthusiastic linguist and reader. Delacorte proposed a statue representing Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, which was one of her favorite books to read to their children.

At the memorial dedication ceremony in May 1959, 11 grandchildren of the late Margarita Delacorte (1891–1956) unveiled Alice. They then promptly climbed up on the statue, as children still do today. In the rush to explore the sculpture, most visitors overlook the inscription, “Margarita Delacorte Memorial,” at the bottom of its platform.

Nell Singer Lilac Walk 20190508

Nell Singer Lilac Walk, which is home to bushes and trees that bloom each spring, is named for the philanthropist who supported many medical and cultural institutions in New York City.

Nell Singer Lilac Walk

Along the northeastern edge of Sheep Meadow is a somewhat hidden but significant and fragrant landscape: Nell Singer Lilac Walk. Dedicated to the people of New York in April 1970 and funded by the philanthropist Nell Singer, it features a wide variety of common and hybrid lilac bushes and trees from all over the world. From April to June, the intoxicating scent of lilacs envelops the area. A plaque placed at the site reminds visitors that “even during periods of harsh conflict and confrontation, the delicate beauty and fragrance of the lilac have been faithful annual reminders of lovelier aspects in human relations.”

Singer provided funding and support for many medical and cultural institutions in New York City, including a summer concert in Stuyvesant Park, local public television programming, Lincoln Center, and the Central Park Conservancy. As the President of the Nell and Herbert Singer Foundation, she supported research and new facilities at Beth Israel Hospital and Rockefeller University.

These memorials and features honor some incredible women in New York City’s history. Many other women have also helped make the Park a welcoming and thriving public space—from artists to nature advocates to the Conservancy’s own founder and current staff. The new monument to Women’s Rights Pioneers will help us remember the important role women have always played in civic public life and the need to make this more publicly known.