Nutter's Battery

Nutters Battery

Nutter’s Battery is an overlook with sweeping views across the landscape and the Harlem Meer. Its strategic position is why New Yorkers built a fortification here during the War of 1812, fearing a British attack from the north. The fort itself, named after local landowner Valentine Nutter, is marked with a low wall, pavings, and plantings, all built to emphasize the rugged rock outcrop and scenic views.

Nutter’s Battery was part of a fortification system that included two other forts, Fort Clinton and Fort Fish, which were connected by low earthen walls and linked to control of the road at McGowan’s Pass. A series of blockhouses completed the defensive line. Today, only Blockhouse No. 1 remains standing.

When the Park was built, Nutter's Battery had no pathways for the public. That changed in 1945, when NYC Parks built paths and constructed a low stone wall to mark the spot where the fortification once stood. The Conservancy rebuilt Nutter's Battery in 2014, constructing a surrounding wall, similar to that of the original fort, and adding new paving and plantings.

Location

East Side at 108th Street

Loading map...

Get Directions

Restrooms

No