Perhaps the most secluded and peaceful area of the Park, the North Woods offers a natural oasis far from any skyscrapers, fulfilling the Park’s original purpose as a respite from the stresses of City living. It’s the largest of Central Park’s three woodlands. Conservancy staff carefully leave fallen trees, also called snags, where they land to provide nutrients for plants, and homes for abundant wildlife.
In the heart of the North Woods is the Ravine, the Park’s only stream valley. Two rustic arches, Huddlestone and Glen Span, form the southwestern and northeastern borders. Threaded through this landscape is the Loch, a stream that pools in some places and cascades in others. In 2017, the Conservancy restored the Ravine, and added a new rustic overlook and nearby seating.
Visitors will also find a piece of New York City history in the North Woods: the Blockhouse. Central Park’s oldest building, it’s the only remaining fortification of the many built by New Yorkers during the War of 1812.