New York City’s dogs love Central Park. To ensure visitors and pets alike stay safe, dog owners must follow the rules as outlined by NYC Parks.
Dogs must be on-leash daily from 9:00 am–9:00 pm. Off-leash hours are from 6:00 am–9:00 am and 9:00 pm–1:00 am, with the following exceptions:
Even during off-leash hours, dogs must always be leashed in these locations:
- Arthur Ross Pinetum
- Bridle Path
- Cedar Hill
- Children’s Glade (Great Hill area)
- Conservatory Garden
- East Green
- East Meadow Oval
- Kerbs Boathouse Plaza
- North Woods
- The Ramble
- Shakespeare Garden
- Strawberry Fields
- Turtle Pond Lawn
- Other areas where signs requiring dogs to be leashed are posted
Dogs are never allowed in the these locations:
- Dogs must always be under the control of their owner.
- Dogs must have a NYC license tag and valid rabies tag.
- Dogs must not dig, chase, or harm wildlife; damage Park property; or interfere with other Park users.
- Always clean up after your dog, including dog hair that you brush off in the Park.
- Please respect signs, fences, and red flags that may indicate temporary closure due to restoration, maintenance, or weather conditions.
- These rules are part of the NYC legal code; dog owners may be fined for any violation.
In the event that you happen upon a lost dog or your dog goes missing, please contact the Animal Care Centers of NYC.