Chess & Checkers House

Chess & Checkers House is an official visitor center run by the Conservancy. Surrounding the octagonal structure are 24 permanent tables with inlaid chess boards, attracting master players and newcomers alike.

Game pieces are available inside the building along with dominos, backgammon, and other board games.

Chess & Checkers House is among the newer additions to the Children’s District, an area of the Park dedicated to children and their caregivers. It stands on the former site of the Kinderberg—Dutch for “children’s mountain”—a large, rustic structure offering shade, shelter, and a place to rest. In 1952, long after the Kinderberg fell into disrepair, Chess & Checkers House was erected in its place.